Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

book review: "nurture" by lisa bevere

I shared a quote from this book last month. It's the first book I've read by Lisa, though I have a copy of Lioness Arising sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to pick up :) To me, the book is about realizing the role we as Christian women have and then stepping up to embrace it. She talks about women in the Bible and what we can learn from them. And she also talks about the importance of honest prayer. "God loves it when we pray gut-level, authentic prayers. It gives Him some earthen "dirt" to work with. God has always taken the dirt and made something beautiful out of it. When we draw near and are honest, God can turn around our issues and then take what blesses and heals us on an individual basis and magnify it for the healing of many - sometimes even for the healing of nations. I doubt you could even contain the wonder of all God wants to do with and through your prayers." Lisa's book isn't directed to just women who are married or those who are single. Her point is to look for those in your life - no matter you're marital status - who you can pour into. 

While I did highlight throughout the book and think Lisa made some great points, I wasn't super impressed with Nurture. I felt like she was skipping around at times, making it a little hard to stay connected. I loved hearing her personal stories and being able to get to know her on that level and will definitely read some of her other books but I wasn't crazy about this one. 

I received a copy of this book from Faith Words for my honest review. 

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. I haven't read any of her books yet, but would like to.

    ReplyDelete