Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

book review: "gather around the amish table" by lucy leid



This cookbook offers favorite family recipes and charming stories from Amish and Mennonite cooks. Bake the pecan rolls that taste best after an ice-skating party, or try the hoagies that a community sold to help an Amish family with hospital bills. Discover the cocoa cupcakes with instructions to "stir by hand" that one young cook took literally, or whip up the whoopie pies that one Amish woman took to market in her horse and buggy.

Gather your family around the table to sample the delightful flavors and comforting traditions of the plain people. In the words of one cookbook contributor: "Bake someone happy!"

I love the idea of things centering around food; of having friends or family over on a weeknight to celebrate the normal. I think this cookbook is perfect for that! The pictures of the Amish community are beautiful and I love the stories attached with the recipes. There are certain recipes I make that have memories associated with them. I like what Lucy says in the "Compiler's Note": "It's one of the blessings of life to share ourselves with each other." That's so true. I love the simplicity of the recipes. Life is busy right now (as I'm sure everyone can relate to) but I want to make time for the simple. To find enjoyment in biting into a fresh, homemade blueberry muffin or doughnut. There are so many recipes in this book! Breads, soups, sandwiches, cookies, desserts - just to name a few. I haven't had the chance to try any recipes but I will be! At the top of my list are pumpkin cookies, brown sugar oatmeal cookies, Huntington chicken - they all sound delicious! The recipes in the book are easy to read and follow. I'm looking forward to making these recipes, knowing I'm tapping into some Amish history.

I received a copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity for my honest review.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment